10.06.2011

Basic Salad

I love a good salad. I can go for oil & vinegar, balsamic, ranch, italian, greek, chef, fruit...the possibilities for a great salad are endless. When I'm making a salad at home, I tend to make the same salad over and over again. It's so basic, but it's also so delicious.

For my basic salad, I just throw some romaine lettuce, tomato, croutons, shredded cheese (any kind), and cucumbers into a bowl. I also add some salt, pepper, and oregano. Next, I make my favorite part of the salad.


Sauteed mushrooms and onions make this salad, in my opinion. After they have sauteed for a couple of minutes, I add some balsamic vinegar. I like the mushrooms and onions sit in the vinegar for another couple of minutes. Both mushrooms and onions really tend to absorb spices and whatever they are being cooked in. 

After everything is mixed together, I drizzle olive oil, honey, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, and a little bit of apple cider vinegar (plus, the balsamic vinegar from the mushrooms and onions) over it. I don't measure these items and I suggest you don't either. It's all personal taste and preference. Sometimes, I'll use less vinegar and sometimes, I'll use more. What I can say is that the possibilities to create different tastes for your dressing are endless.


Mmm.

Do you made homemade dressing?




5 comments:

Heather said...

I've never made my own dressing before, but I really want to try The Pioneer Woman's ranch dressing recipe.

krystal said...

Girl - you are crazy! I've never heard of this before. I do love putting oil and vinegar in my salad. I LOVE cider vinegar and red wine vinegar but never mixed the two. Favorite post so far!

Desiree Guthrie said...

Hi Jen! Recently I learned how to make my mother-in-law"s homemade dressing. You're right. Nothing beats freshly made!

Lauren said...

YUM! Salad is my fav!

Acne Baby said...

Thank you for writing thiis

Post a Comment