8.24.2011

Macaroni & Cheese (some of the best you'll ever have)

French fries. Cheeseburgers. Chicken wings. Pizza. Typical foods that we just can't get enough of, right? Another food? Macaroni & Cheese!

My good friends Bonnie and Nick gave me this great recipe for homemade Mac & Cheese that I'd like to share with you all.

Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:

1-1.5 cups noodles

1/4 cup margarine or butter

1 small onion, chopped

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 cup flour

1 3/4 cups milk

8 ounces sharp cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (I used all cheddar, but my friends typically use 1/2 cheddar and 1/2 something else, like swiss)

Directions:

Cook noodles as directed and drain.

In another pot, stir together and cook the margarine, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until onion is slightly tender. 

Blend the flour in the pot with the margarine and onion. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly. *Apparently, it's very important to continue to stir constantly. It's easy to mess this part up and think the mixture is done before it actually is. But, this step should take between 5-10 minutes and result in a more liquid substance than when you first started.*

Remove from heat and stir in milk. Return to heat and heat to boiling. Once the mixture starts to boil, stir constantly for a full minute. Then, remove from heat again. Stir in cheese cubes until melted.

Place cooked noodles in an ungreased casserole dish. Stir cheese sauce into noodles. Cook uncovered at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

For an added bonus, sprinkle some shredded cheese on top!

***

Voila! This way of making Mac & Cheese is definitely more tedious than the boxes with the little packet of cheese sauce, but it's worth it! I felt accomplished and I ate a whole plateful. Delicioso!



5 comments:

Wiz said...

One of my goals this year is to make homemade macaroni and cheese! This recipe looks fantastic. Thanks!

Heather said...

YUM! I love mac & cheese!

Meg O. said...

YUM! I have a most fabulous recipe that involves truffle oil and it makes my life complete.

Hengki said...

I like it. In my country this cuisine is titled as macaroni schotel. Almost every week my wife makes this macaroni and cheese.

Unknown said...

I like all of the points you have made.
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/saudi-arabia-cleaning-companies-8.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/saudi-arabia-cleaning-companies-11.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/saudi-arabia-cleaning-companies-10.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/saudi-arabia-cleaning-companies-9.html

Post a Comment